Should You Still Go to a Meeting?
A commenter asks:
Thank you so much for the wonderful and detailed job you are doing. I do have a question. I have read your notes to the meeting and thoughts thereafter. I have heard the same accounts from several others and believe the elders made the right choice. Do you still think I should go to a meeting to hear it for myself. If so, why?
Wow, that's just not something I feel comfortable answering for you.
I imagine you're not alone in this position, and I also assume there are some folks who haven't attended a meeting, but now that Dr. Foster says he has accepted the decision and is requesting no campaigns be made on his behalf, think going to a meeting irrelevant.
I can't answer for those folks either. Let's do a pro and con, I guess.
If you now believe the accounts you've heard about the elders meetings details are true and therefore you firmly believe they made the right decision, by not going to a meeting, you could theoretically open up room for people who want to go but weren't able to sign up in time. I don't know logistically how deletions/additions to the roster would work. It would entail you contacting the church to say you're not going to attend after all, I guess, and then them contacting someone who tried to sign up but was denied to tell them space has opened up.
That's probably too much of a hassle for everybody right now.
On the other hand, if you believe the accounts are true and believe the elders made the right decision, by attending a meeting you might be able to lend support to them (even if just with a kind face), ask questions you hadn't thought of until a certain detail related brings it to your mind, and perhaps see documentation you hadn't thought to be interested in before.
I guess what I'm saying is, if you choose not to attend, you cannot un-unattend. Does that make sense? It is more likely you'd regret not hearing/seeing for yourself than it would be regretting you went to hear/see firsthand.
There may also be some "mystical" value in hearing these charges brought before the community, a facing of the problem and the decision by the body corporate that you don't get from just reading somebody's notes or hearing somebody's version. But expanding on ideas like that would require more time and probably result in the practical decision of "go with your gut" anyway.
Long answer short, I don't know what you should do. My gut says "go to a meeting." But I think ultimately the decision is really between you and your conscience.