Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Defining Terms

I vacated the TalkBCC Forum when it first showed signs of getting ugly. It got much, much uglier thereafter.
Turns out my friend Ben, who set up the board, was out of town for a few days and was not able to moderate. Now he is back -- thankfully -- and has stepped in to enforce civility. Consequently, hardly anyone is posting there anymore. (sigh)

Also, more dissenters are commenting here. That is fine, of course, since comments are open and I even allow anonymity. But maybe we should talk a bit about what exactly a weblog ("blog") is, because I think more than a few of you don't really get the medium.

For starters, a blog is not a forum or message board. It is not a neutral space. If you haven't noticed yet, all posts are composed by little ol' me. I registered the url, I set up the page, and I host the conversation. In traditional blogospheric terms, you are not in a public square engaging in free speech when you come to this blog; you are in my virtual living room. You are not here by right; you are here by privilege.

This might be a good time to revisit the BCC is Broken Site and Commenting Policy.

I welcome debate, and I've even allowed accusations and insults against me personally. But while I will allow "arguments," I won't allow argumentativeness. Throw in "badgering" too, by which I mean repeating the same indignant comment over and over again. That is what we bloggers call "trollish" behavior. Don't be a troll. (And to other commenters: Don't feed the trolls.)

To repeat: You don't have a right to say anything here. You have an invitation; commenting is a privilege. It is one I will revoke if I need to.
So ask yourself why you're here. Is it just to argue? Is it just to let me know you think I'm stupid or unfair or judgmental?

For folks on both "sides": Are you genuinely interested in conversation, even if spirited, that has at its center following Jesus in community?

Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.
-- Colossians 4:6

9 Comments:

At 6:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are right about this blog being yours. And also, that TalkBCC forum was hideous. Gave me the willies that people in our church talk that way to each other, ESPECIALLY when anger issues are the very thing that have started some of this mess.

 
At 8:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anger and indignation are two different responses. There was some anger and venom on that board, but also people who were rightiously indignant.

The difference ? Anger is expressed towards individuals ( like others on the board ) and indignation is expressed towards the situation, it's causes and possible continuation.

A certain ammount of indignation fuels this blog and I believe it's healthy.

 
At 9:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Namecalling and slandering, which was what I mostly saw, is neither righteous anger or indignation.

 
At 10:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jared,

You may hae already gotten this email...but I pastor a small church in Texas and somehow got conencted to your blog through Monday Morning Insight. I have had the unfortuate expereince of church splits or turmoil...the best thing anyone did for me was to say, "I love you" and to show me God's love and value. Once a lady came to our house with homemade chocalate chip cookies and said I don't want to know any details or talk about it I just want you to know I love you. Those were the best cookies I ever eaten!! So simple to love someone, right or wrong, and yet so powerful!
Second, I have so enjoyed your blog...not the BCC stuff necessarily, but all the insight you have shared on God and His dealings in our lives! Keep up the good work...this may be the begining of something great!!!
Your new brother in Texas.
Ron

 
At 1:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jared,
What a tremendous GIFT you have.I look so forward to reading your blog knowing that what you have to say is the truth based on the Bible. Those of us who have been christians for years need a refresher course of how the word tells us to live. You are an inspiration to me. Thank you for spending the time to keep us all informed.
JJ

 
At 1:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jared,
What a tremendous GIFT you have.I look so forward to reading your blog knowing that what you have to say is the truth based on the Bible. Those of us who have been christians for years need a refresher course of how the word tells us to live. You are an inspiration to me. Thank you for spending the time to keep us all informed.
JJ

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger Jared said...

So nice you said it twice! ;-)

JJ, thanks so much for the affirmation. You made my day.

 
At 9:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would like to say ditto to JJ's comments - and
also to say thanks to MJ for staying on board with us - - -I think she has seen what many of us have seen on this site - - a healthy dose of "challenging" one another -- - but in the
truly Christian sense of let's talk, share insights,
share each other's worldly
life-experience-wisdom, as well as some great Biblical knowledge shared by our blog leader Jared - and others as well. thank you for sharing yourself with us, Jared.
"miss anonymous"

 
At 11:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Jared for defining the terms of the blog. I have been a reader and have appreciated
your knowledge and straight forwardness. while waiting on my car this morning to be serviced - - I read Max Lucado's book - "It's Not About Me" - - it was so appropos and timely. I would recommend it as a light quick read - to supplement anyone's Bible reading - - not take the place of . It spoke to me about what I needed to do in my walk with Jesus. It fired up all my cylinders and got my brain thinking in all the directions and things I could do at BCC.
I hope you don't mind me sharing that, and if you prefer that we not do that
feel free to edit this - -
I want to be respectful of your blog.
God bless all,
Refe

 

Post a Comment

<< Home