Monday, August 07, 2006

If It Ain't Broke(n) . . .

Dirk has changed the name of his blog from BCC Blow-up to BCC Begins to Heal. I like it.

Last week, a commenter suggested I change the name of my blog, because "the system isn't broken; it worked." He was referring, I inferred, to the dismissal of the pastor as proof that BCC "works."

I will agree with him that necessary discipline was carried out. I disagree with him about the need for a name change, though. For one thing, BCC is Broken has a double meaning. One meaning is indeed a negative brokenness; the other is a positive sort of brokenness.

For what it's worth, I think both meanings are still true. So I'm maintaining the name for now.
Also for what it's worth: I believe that the church has begun working through one form of our brokenness and that God has begun working through the other.

The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.
-- Psalm 51:17 (NIV)

3 Comments:

At 5:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, excellent reference to the importance of being broken before God. These times where we are broken in Spirit ( we are weak ) are the times that He deals with us and grows us because he is strong when we are humbled.

A part of David's repentance should include brokeness and contrition. I don't think a day a Titan's Training camp ( his best time of healing in the last week ???) with Jeff Fisher was a great insertion into the "I shall return" missive. ( name dropping )

I always wondered if David really seeks the Lord and renews his mind in daily fellowship. The whole idea of drawing up your future on a restaurant napkin speaks of human endeavoer, scheming, dreaming, etc. Interesting that Calcutta, Boaz, AL, or Sudan didn't make the cut.

A lot of people have designated a special and exalted view of David and I don't get the idea from his conduct and depth ( over a decade of observing ) that he is pursuing the Lord's heart to the degree that that exaltation is deserved.

He always used to say that "if it weren't for BCC he'd be through with Ministry."

Is that putting a limit on God or what ?

 
At 7:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nathan,
I have had time to reflect now , over all we have been thru, and also being a decader, I am starting to look inside and just an observation.... IF it had not been for the courage of our elders......would we still be at the same place we were just a few weeks ago.....17 more years from now ???
nathan, did you stay at BCC "in spite of " Dave Foster before this all came to light ? I'm wondering myself, was I a blind "fosterite" ......?
I stayed thru 10 years while many many many friends left ...... one of those dear friends said God's plan was for those of us who did not go ... to stay and be the rock for the future of BCC ....
it's all in God's plan.
Is it wrong for me to feel
I was "duped" ? I stayed
then, as I am staying now
because of my BCC family,
I believe we will be even
stronger than before.
blessings,

 
At 10:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I stayed because there were actually tremendous success stories and God absolutely worked in the lives of young believers at BCC while I was there.

To a person, they all moved on as I did 5 or so years back.

There was a "neutering of ministry" at that time in which people like Chuck Leonard disappeared. A wonderful lady who was gifted in Bible teaching was ignored and stiff armed. Needless to say she took her gifts elsewhere.

I stayed at BCC beause I believed I could be effective there. Unfortunately, the design was to keep all eyes and ears on the bulletin, filling out the blanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home