Friday, December 08, 2006

Weekend Linkage

It's been a while since I've done one of these. So here's a collection of quality links to take you through the weekend.

"I just had to go to church."

More on joy from Scot McKnight's Jesus Creed blog.

Do you suffer from Quiet Time Guilt? This post is for you. :-)

My wife Becky has started blogging at her MySpace page.

It's sort of a long post, but it's a good one: The Internet Monk on the inherent hardship of real ministry.

Christianity: What's the Point?

Community Christian Church in Naperville, Illinois has produced a series of "Christian vs. Christ-follower" ads that parody those funny Apple/PC commercials. They are quite clever and pretty well produced.
I'm no fan of Christian subcultural kitsch substituting for authentic faith, but I am really wearying of this whole "us vs. them" thing, particularly when it comes down to dividing up who really follow Jesus better. What I think these things communicate, although surely not purposefully, is "I'm the better Christ follower because I'm cooler than you." Which is just as awful as one assuming they're a better Christian because they know more stuff, listen to the right music, and have a Jesus fish on their car. It smacks of reverse Pharisaism to me, and I'm seeing lately all the stinkin' time: "I thank you, God, that I'm not like those religious people over there . . ."
When will we figure out we all need each other? That none of us can say to another, "I have no need for you"?

Finally, if you haven't seen U2 singing "Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes" (with a little help from the Pope, George Bush, Tony Blair, and Oprah), you really should.

Happy surfing! See you next week.

2 Comments:

At 12:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jared,

We really think alike regarding the "us/them" schizm that floats around the Body of Christ. I think it largely has political, generational, and cultural components that all really boil down to superficiality. Yes, there probably are theological difference too, but mostly it's related to image. "Cooler than you" sums it up pretty well.

Ahh, marketing....

 
At 10:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Noel Paul Sookey (from Peter, Paul and Mary) had a great song about this issue called "Peace in the Valley."

My favorite verse and the chorus are as follows:

"So if you meet a man in a pastel suit
With an alligator Bible to match his boots
You might not like his style too much
But if he could reach a soul you could never touch
You gotta say...

Peace in the Valley
Peace on the mountain too
Before you tell a man he's got a splinter in his eye
You better pull the log out of
Pull the log out of
Pull the log out of you."

(Link to whole song......http://www.noelpaulstookey.com/06-01.html)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home