Thursday, September 21, 2006

Prayer Update

Wow. Can I just say "wow"? We have been overwhelmed with the outpourings of concern and offers of help since sharing our prayer request for Becky's ailment. We are so blessed to have such an awesome church family.
Don't let anyone ever say Bellevue Community Church does not know how to care.

I have felt a little off balance in handling our response to the offers of help, mainly because I have felt guilty about whether our level of need merited the level of response, but also because I'm a prideful son of a gun who likes to think I can handle everything by myself. I'm stupid like that sometimes. ;-)
Also, we've just been very busy the last couple of days, so it's even been difficult just finding a time to take a breath and try to say "thanks" to some folks, much less make arrangements to accept their help. It took me three days to get my yard mowed, because my weedeater stopped working and I couldn't find time, between trying to sort out our car situation and shuttling Beck to and from doctors, to go borrow one from a friend who only lives a minute or two away.

So if you've offered to help and I've not responded, please don't take it personally. It's not because we don't appreciate it. I have returned a call this morning to make arrangements for some "assistance," so at least know we're not trying to survive all by our lonesome.
Our biggest need right now, actually, is just rest.

The Update:
Becky saw a new doctor yesterday morning, and it seems like, for the first time in about 12 years, we may actually know what has been causing this stuff. It is just a "theory" at this point, but it's a new one, and more importantly, it makes a lot of sense and answers a lot of questions about the affliction that have gone unanswered for years.
If this theoretical diagnosis is true, the bad news, if you can call it that, is that there is no "cure" for it, other than radical surgery that neither Becky nor I want and that the doctor advises against anyway. So it seems as if the problem will recur as it has before, usually once or twice a year.

If this theoretical diagnosis is true, the good news is that at least we know what the problem is, and we know it is not life-threatening or degenerative. It will be a pain -- literally -- to have to keep enduring the thing off and on, but there's an odd comfort in at least knowing what's causing it. And there are some treatments that can be prescribed to lessen the effects and duration, if Becky decides she wants to do them.

The more important good news for us, at this time, is that if this new theory is true, Becky should be feeling much better very, very soon. Soon, as in a few days.

I'm sorry to be so vague about what all this stuff entails, but maybe I should just say it involves the inner anatomy of the female-type person ;-), and that might explain our desire for privacy and discretion.

We are very hopeful that this new doctor has finally figured out what the problem is, and based on that, very hopeful Becky will be feeling much better very soon.
We are so thankful for all our friends and family who have gone above and beyond in offering prayers and support. Please know you are greatly loved and much appreciated, and even if we are not able to accept your offers of help at this time, we praise God for your kind hearts and willing hands.

Our church is so awesome.

3 Comments:

At 10:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to hear bro.

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger C. Evan Leonard said...

Jared,

I'm so glad to hear that the church has been able to come to your assistance and so many people have offered their help. Sorry for being late in offering mine.

You said you live West of Nashville? So do I... so... please let me know if there is anything I might be able to assist you with. I also have a weed-eater and etc....

Beyond that... it's good to hear that some information have been gathered regarding your wife's affliction. I hope that it will ultimately be something God heals forever.

Your family has been in our prayers and we will continue to lift you up through this time of weariness.

Kind regards,

C. Evan Leonard

 
At 7:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow.. What a great report about our community! God is glorified in Becky's illness. Imagine that!

Yes, we will gladly continue to pray for Becky's and Jared's rest and healing as they walk this path together.

Thru this I see, one more example, that the goals that the elders have set are being realized. I'm seeing this over and over. A few weeks ago the ending song at the service moved me to tears because of its truth and the power in the truth. As I walked out of the church to my car, three people, seeing my tears, stopped me to see if I was "ok" or needed to talk. The last two Sundays, the pastor has patted me on the back as he walked past me, twice! No words but just a pat to communicate "I see you and I am glad you are here." Last week, I sat thru a service in the foyer with a new aquaintence from a Conexus group; we drank coffee and shared our life stories and had an interesting conversation about most everything, and then Wednesday night, a woman in my conexus group pulled out a book to share with me about my favorite author!

Now,I've been attending this church for years and never been spoken to on the way out, never been patted on the back, never known anybody to sit and drink coffee with and never had anybody bring something to show me, communicating that they hoped to see me. It's all so little, but it all means so much. Can it be that we are being transformed from being strangers to being the brothers and sisters in Christ, from being alienated to being a family, from being "attenders" to feeling at home? It's what I hope for and have always hoped for, and it is so exciting to see this church blooming, right before my eyes. I might just bloom with it! That's Real Hope for this Real Rerson! Let's keep on growing and reaching out to one another with "kind hearts and willing hands" for the praise and Glory of God!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home