Tuesday, January 23, 2007

The "Where I Am Right Now" Post: BCC Version

Should we take our church's temperature? Should we check the spiritual barometer?
In Life Together, Dietrich Bonhoeffer says ministers should not be constantly measuring their church. I really don't know exactly what he meant by that (although I could guess), and while I love Bonhoeffer and I love that book, I'm going to ignore his suggestion. :-)

In the comments of the last post, Dirk asks:
Is there a way you might circle information back and apply it to the life of BCC?

I can try!

This was my response:

"The application I think BCC can (and is!) making, just like any Christian or church should make, is that spirit and truth are not an either/or proposition. They are a package deal. And what I tend to see is churches trying hard to specialize in one or the other.
So, on the one hand, you can have some fringes of the charismatic community really reveling in "spirit" but going clear off the rails doctrinally, and on the other hand churches in very heavy liturgical or traditional communities that mind all their doctrinal p's and q's but look as if they're having a root canal while they're doing it.

I think, at this time, BCC is doing a great job. There's always room for improvement, and since nobody and no church is perfect, there's always room for valid criticism, but I think we are on a great upward trend, getting closer as we grow to where Spirit and truth intersect."

4 Comments:

At 8:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Jared.

Don't you think the elephant in the room is how the lack of a established lead pastor impacts the spiritual health and direction of the church?

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger Jared said...

Nope. Don't think that at all.

I think competent, faithful shepherding impacts the spiritual health and direction of the church, but I believe we've got that right now.

Bill may be "interim," but he's not ineffective. The people I hear from are hopeful and happy about the direction of our church -- most of them don't want us to rush into a decision about a lead pastor -- and they say our church is healthier and more focused than it has ever been.

So, no, I think the room is sans elephant. :-)

But maybe I'm not picking up on the vibes you are. For instance, I don't think the staff have been in a somber mood, as you mentioned in a recent post of yours, and I see no indication that our lead pastor candidate has "gotten away."

 
At 4:40 PM, Blogger C. Evan Leonard said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 4:49 PM, Blogger Jared said...

Chuck, I'm sorry but after some deliberation, I removed your comment. Please don't take it personally.

It is still saved, though, and if Dirk is reading this, perhaps he will let me forward it to him for posting under the appropriate post at his site.

Thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home